Industrial chemicals are those chemicals which are manufactured for different industrial applications. These chemicals are found in fuels, dyes, anti freezes, explosives, lubricants, insulators and so forth. It is also used for research purposes in military and warfare centres.
A Brief about Industrial Chemicals
These chemicals are manufactured and developed from raw materials like air, water and minerals. There are various types of chemicals which are produced by industries for various purposes. Today with the growth of industrialisation, there has been a substantial growth in the demand for industrial chemicals for various applications.
We tend to use chemicals in various forms including as detergents, polishes, cleaning agents, varnishes, adhesives, solvents, dyes used for photocopying and so forth. The way these chemicals are used determines whether it can be categorised as industrial chemicals or not.
Different Types of Industrial Chemicals
With the increased demand for these chemicals there are more than a hundred varieties that are being manufactured these days by different companies. Some of the commonly used and known chemicals include:
- Oxygen: one of the most useful and necessary chemical that is used as oxidiser in reaction mixtures where oxygen is essential.
- Phosphoric acid: another useful chemical that is used in food products like soft drinks and other items. It is also used to manufacture fertilizer.
- Nitrogen: it is used in industries to control reaction temperatures and prevent the combination of oxygen with vapour so as to avoid explosions. It is also used as an alternative to air for conveying gas carrier to prevent explosions.
- Sulphuric acid: it is mainly used for removing dangerous substances and counteracts the effect of alkaline substances. It is one of the most used and commonindustrial chemicals.
- Chlorine: It is mainly used for manufacturing bleaching agents. It is an important ingredient in titanium dioxide.
- Ethylene: another important chemical that is used for various purposes.
- Sodium silicate: used as insulations for industrial purposes.
- Aluminium sulphate: it is used as PH buffer in paper industries. It is also used for treating wastewater in industries.
- Sodium carbonate: one of the most important industrial chemicals includes sodium carbonate which is also known as soda ash. It is used for manufacturing glass and as the main ingredient in many of the cleaning agents.
- Ammonium nitrate: it is one of the most commonly used fertilizers in solid form.
- Urea: another notable chemical is urea which is used as fertilizers. It is also used to produce cattle feed.
- Methanol: produced from hydrogen and carbon monoxide, this particular chemical is used as a reactant to manufacture acetic acid, formaldehyde and methyl terbutyl ether (MTBE).
- Potash: another chemical which is widely used as a fertilizer in agricultural lands include potash.
- Titanium Dioxide: it is used in paints, food items and pharmaceutical products. It is a white colored chemical product.
There are many more chemicals which have a variety of uses. With the increase in the number of chemical importers in the country, many companies have begun to manufacture chemicals within the country.